Possession of a Controlled Substance

Possession of a Controlled Substance

If you are charged with possession of a controlled substance in Texas, you face a very serious charge carrying punishments from probation to state prison terms. How you are charged and what the penalties could be will depend on the quantity of drugs involved, the nature of those drugs and other specific facts of the case. Controlled substances include drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, methamphetamines and more. Because of the serious nature of such charges, you should consult with a Georgetown criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible if you have been arrested for this crime.

One of the penalties of being convicted of drug possession is a 180-day suspension of your driver's license. Not being allowed to drive can seriously impact your life, especially your job. Because of that, it is crucial to retain my services as a Georgetown criminal defense attorney to help you avoid this possibility as well as the risk of jail time and other adverse consequences. Furthermore, if you are convicted of possession of a controlled substance, you will have a permanent criminal record, which can negatively affect your future in regards to employment, career opportunities, professional licenses and more.

Drug Possession Cases and Consequences

Potential defenses exist for anyone charged with drug possession, which is why you should have an attorney by your side before you make any statements about your situation to police officers, detectives, prosecutors or others. You also may be eligible for a special program for first-time offenders in which you may avoid prosecution if you remain law-abiding and complete the terms of the program successfully. Under this program, the charges against you will be dismissed and you will be eligible to have your record expunged.

Because of the complexities of drug possession charges, I urge you to contact me so we can immediately discuss your case and your options. I serve clients throughout Williamson County and might be able to help you.